Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Thing 2: Online Communities & Personal Learning Networks

I'm finding this is definitely a use it or lose it thing ... blogging I mean. I'm behind in my Cool Tools work and hoping to use the February break to catch up and now I'm feeling creaky and awkward trying to remember how to post to my blog. Argh! I love how my brain is being stretched and yet I hate how dumb and slow I feel.

So I took the leap and created a Twitter account [@AudreySeybold] today! What moved me to action was the first three sentences in the Edudemic piece 10 Simple Ways to Build Your Personal Learning Network ...

"Getting online is easy. Finding a few resources is relatively easy. Finding useful (and real) people who can truly benefit your learning is quite difficult."

I think my hesitation about joining Twitter or any other social network is the feeling of one more thing to keep up with and that I already have days when I feel like I am running as fast as I can to keep up with technology and not managing to hold my own. I think what finally made me take the leap is that I like to learn new things and the only way to do that is to continually stretch and go outside your comfort zone.

I discovered some folks I want to follow through #edtech and #ipaded. I've spent hours wandering through the posts of tons of folks and realize that this could get to be very addicting. I'm going to need to set some time limits and for now I'm reading and not participating so I need to set that as my next goal; I don't just want to lurk in the background, I want to take the scary next step of participating.

No comments:

Post a Comment