Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Thing 4: RSS, Personal Home Pages and Feed Readers

I didn't mention this in my last blog, but I want to say that I really appreciate the links to simple videos from CommonCraft. I've found each one has made the topic at hand accessible and I find myself immediately looking for the CommonCraft video and clicking on the link.

I've seen the RSS icon and known that it was something I should know about, but the Cool Tools project is why I've gone from huh??? to OHHHHH awesome! It feels like a V8 moment; hopefully some of you remember the 1980s 'I could have had a V8' commercials. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't investigate RSS sooner.

I set up a Netvibes page and made it my browser's home page so I get in the habit of using it. I started this yesterday and at first I didn't find Netvibes very user friendly. I decided that it might be that my brain was on information overload and I put my computer aside and came back to it today. Thankfully my opinion has changed today as I take baby steps to tweak my dashboard so that it includes what I want to follow. I started by deleting the preloaded topics; for now I've left Netvibes Blog. New to my Dashboard are the RSS feeds for the Cool Tools blog and Learn Egg. Looking through Netvibes "Essentials" helped me choose to add Twitter and Blog Search. I gave Blog Search a spin by trying 'k-2 iPads' and liked what it pulled up.

I can tell already that I'm going to like the ability to gather everything in one place, but I'm going to have to be very strategic in what I read because just the list of tweets alone is crazy. I quickly decided that I needed to learn the settings feature for Twitter and marked everything from yesterday as read and adjusted my settings so that only items marked as not read show. I can see myself as needing to develop more survival strategies so that I don't feel swallowed up by the new world of learning and sharing possibilities I've opened up for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment